Step 2: Develop an Overview of the Topic
- Do background research on the topic--find out what you can about your topic.
- Do background research on the different parts of your research question
- Refine your research question—you may have picked a question that is very general and you need to make it more specific (or vice-versa).
- Useful sources for finding background information
- Know what you are looking for first!
- Going to a search engine, library catalog, or database and simply typing in words for inspiration will lead quickly to frustration
- Typing in your entire question almost never works.